Sunday, February 13, 2011

Eviction notice: squatters are leaving the premises.

So last week was not a training one, it was a "will I survive?" one.  After a week of headaches, I went back to the doctor to be diagnosed with a sinus AND a throat infection. I was given meds as well as a "you will not race the First Half this week-end" notice. There was nothing I could do, but focus on getting healthy, which can become annoying after a while.

Saturday (yesterday) was my first work-out in a week...and I felt it. We (my 2 training buddies and I) had agreed to have a trainer ride (inside). So we met in Gastown, put on Kill Bill and started pedaling. I was the most conservative one as I had to discipline myself: I stopped after 2 hours. The guys kept on going for 30 minutes and we finished the session with a recovery coffee.

This morning, after a quick scan of the First Half results (would have taken a 1:25 to be in the top 10), I got my legs out of bed and went for a short hour run. I did not want to plan a route, so I lapped around Trout Lake for an hour. First and last time this year. My fitness was average and I could feel that I still host some squatters in my sinuses. Fortunately, they're on their way out as they got the notice-couldn't be happier.

Nevertheless, for a good week now, I've tried to remember what's my mom recommendation in such situations. As we all know, the motherly advice always goes a long way, even though I've (we've?) often taken it for granted, amongst other things. What could I have done to prevent such an invasion in the sinus region? Probably a stricter nutrition plan with adequate doses of Vitamin C would have been a good start.  However, I found a good tip upon my return to the office on Thursday: I read my Chinese horoscope (I am a horse). Well, it turns out that in 2011, horses should "pop Vitamin C like it's candy".

Bacteria freeloaderis, aka the squatters, beware, I've been popping!

No comments:

Post a Comment